Friday, July 24, 2009


Gloss coats done.

Bottom camber.

Check out those piggie hips.

Finished deck and bottom.
Well almost.
The gloss coats have not
been wet and dry sanded or polished.

Friday, July 17, 2009


Bottom lam done.
As I suspected, it sprung back a bit.
So I set the board up with a string line
nose to tail over the deck.
The deck was weighed down with the weights
to the correct measurements.
Then the distance between the string line
and a point on the deck was taken.
The bottom lam was done.
The string line was reattached to the board.
Measurements taken and adjustments to the rocker made
by propping up the ends and adding a little weight
to the bottom.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009


The original plan was to do a resin swirl in the lams.
But because the rocker needed weighing down.
The board could not be flipped to cut the laps.
So it was done on the blank.
A couple of colours, a squeegee and a brush.
Pour on the base colour.
Then pour on the secondary colour.
And squeegee from the stringer out to the rails.
Then clean up the rails and runs with the brush.
The blank went a bit wild after I stripped the glass off.
Way to much rocker.
No stringer.
You get that.
Nothing 4 litres of water can't fix.

First lam on deck.
Just add water.
I suspect the rocker will spring back a bit.
So I will need to nut that one out prior to the bottom lam.

Saturday, July 11, 2009


A few years ago I built a board
out of an old surf club rescue board.

Well I'm at it again.

As with the first one I had to make it wider.

So I cut it down the guts and
and added a 100mm section
that I cut out of another rescue board.
This was pre shaped to the desired rocker.

All glued up
and ready to go.

The new blank has been planed down.
And the planshape drawn onto the blank.

The planshape has been cut out
and the outline has been cleaned up.

Thursday, July 9, 2009


The alaia on the left has just
had its maiden voyage.
Not the best conditions.
We spent more time under the water
than on top of it.